Stacks Image 2306
Stacks Image 548

Map
Directory
Route Finder

Deal is a delightful jumble of narrow lanes which make dog-legs to divert the driving winds from the Channel. It is a 17th to 19th century townscape that, overall, amounts to more than the sum of its individual buildings.
These include St Leonard's Church, which is part Norman, but with a cupola maintained by Trinity House as a landmark for shipping, The stately Royal Marine barracks towards Walmer, and three castles built by Henry VIII, namely Deal, Sandown and Walmer. The town is home to the famous Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club.
Deal's finest building is the Tudor Deal Castle, commissioned by King Henry VIII and designed with an attractive rose floor plan.
The proximity of Deal's shoreline to the notorious Goodwin Sands has made its coastal waters a source of both shelter and danger through the history of sea travel in British waters.

Whether you are looking for relaxation and the chance to unwind or for something more active including great hand's on fun for the younger family members then Kent is the place for you. With many award winning attractions featured together with the best known places to visit and many smaller less well known attractions.
Choose from enchanting gardens, historic houses, mysterious castles, cathedrals and country churches, fascinating museums, animal parks, steam trains, amazing maritime heritage and much more.
PLAN YOUR VISIT
Deal Shopping
Stacks Image 9509
There are hundreds of independent retailers situated in the Kent, offering an array of worldwide brands to locally sourced products. Each and every one of them offer a customer service that just can’t be found on the high street.
Check the Deal Directory above
Deal Seafront
Deal History
The Downs, the water between the town and the sands, provides a naturally sheltered anchorage. This allowed the town to become a significant shipping and military port in past centuries despite the absence of a harbour, with transit of goods and people from ship to shore conducted using smaller tender craft. Deal was, for example, visited by Nelson and was the first English soil on which James Cook set foot in 1771 on returning from first voyage to Australia.
The anchorage is still used today by international and regional shipping, though on a scale far smaller than at other times in the past (some historical accounts report hundreds of ships being visible from the beach).
By the time Dickens came to Deal it had been largely forgotten how the government of 1784, under Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger (who was staying at nearby Walmer Castle, and was later to be appointed Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports in 1792), ensured that the Deal boats were all set ablaze, suspecting some of the Deal luggers of being engaged in smuggling. Pitt had awaited an opportunity that January, when the boats were all 'hoved up' on the beach on account of bad weather, to send a regiment of soldiers to smash and burn them. A naval cutter was positioned offshore to prevent any of the boatmen escaping.
The boatmen's ancestors had the right, under charter, freely to import goods in return for their services as Cinque Port men in providing what had been long recognised as the sole naval defence of the realm. These men continued to risk their lives and their boats, in saving the lives of shipwreck victims.
The irrepressible spirit of the Deal boatmen remained undaunted by these events throughout the Napoleonic Wars, and they continued to assert their hard-earned right to trade.
From these activities news of the events unfolding in France would reach England quickly and regularly, with about 400 men making a living off Deal beach at that time. The war only made the boatmen’s efforts more profitable, so that afterwards the Government immediately turned a part of its naval blockade into a coastal blockade, which lasted from 1818 to 1831.
Deal had a naval shipyard which provided Deal with much of its trade. On the site of the yard there is now a building originally used as a semaphore tower, and later used as a coastguard house, then as a timeball tower, which it remains today, and as a museum. Besides this and the Deal Maritime Museum, there is no museum of the town's history yet, though a campaign to start one is ongoing - Deal's history is told at Dover Museum instead.
Deal Castle
Deal Castle is located in Deal, Kent, England, between Walmer Castle and the now lost Sandown Castle.
It is one of the most impressive of the Device Forts or Henrician Castles built by Henry VIII between 1539 and 1540 as an artillery fortress to counter the threat of invasion from Catholic France and Spain. It is shaped like a Tudor rose, being perfectly symmetrical, with a low, circular keep at its centre. Around the circumference of the keep are six bastions, with a further series of six bastions in the curtain wall, one of which serves as the gatehouse. All the outer walls of the castle and bastions are rounded to both provide strength and to deflect shot more efficiently than flat walls.
Deal Poster
Deal - Cinque Port
DEAL LIMB A massive history surrounds this small, peaceful seaside resort that is often called the ‘Mecca for Anglers’. From the time Julius Caesar landed nearby, Deal became an important defensive position. Henry VIII chose it for the largest of his coastal forts and Deal Castle was held in readiness again during the Napoleonic Wars. Attached to Sandwich.
Dining in Deal
Stacks Image 9547
Whether you want to relax over a cappuccino, enjoy a light lunch, have a fun family meal or indulge in a taste sensation, Kent caters for every occasion.
Check the Deal Directory above
Deal Churches
St Leonard
St Andrew
St George
Deal Timeball
Deal Timeball is a Victorian maritime Greenwich Mean Time signal located on the roof of a waterfront four-storey tower in the coastal town of Deal, in Kent.
It was established in 1855 by the Astronomer Royal George Biddell Airy in collaboration with Charles V. Walker, superintendent of telegraphs for the South Eastern Railway Company.

Kent Tourism Guides & Maps - Click to View

Romney-Marsh-Churches

Royal-Military-Canal

Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway Timetable 2015

Battle_Guide

Kent Brochures
Kent Interactive Maps
Kent Towns & Villages
Stacks Image 9717


Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) in Kent, England. In England the body responsible for designating SSSIs is Natural England, which chooses a site because of its fauna, flora, geological or physiographical features. As of 2008, there are 98 sites designated in this Area of Search, of which 67 have been designated due to their biological interest, 21 due to their geological interest and 10 for both.

Below is a "Where's the path?" link to map pages of each area of Special Scientific interest in Kent. Here you will be able to view various maps of each location including Aerial, Satellite, Dual View and even old Ordnance Survey maps with a modern day Google map overlay, Cycle routes and much more.

Dover to Kingsdown Cliffs

The coastline from Dover harbour to Kingsdown is of extreme importance geologically and physiographically, and for its varied floral and faunal communities which include many rare species.
Biology
The vegetation of the cliff tops consists mainly of chalk grassland interspersed with areas of scrub. Much of the grassland is dominated by tor-grass Brachypodium pinnatum or upright-brome Bromus erectus, though there are numerous areas of species-rich open grassland with a range of typical chalk-turf grass and herb species. These include sheep’s fescue Festuca ovina, salad burnet Sanguisorba minor, wild thyme Thymus praecox, and horseshoe vetch Hippocrepis comosa. A number of nationally-rare plants occur. These include early spider orchid Ophrys sphegodes and ox-tongue broomrape Orobanche loricata which are both at the northern extreme of a continental distribution. Dense areas of scrub occur locally, eg at Fan Hole. The main constituent species are gorse Ulex europaeus, wild privet Ligustrum vulgare, hawthorn Crataegus monogyna and bramble Rubus fruticosus. There are a few scattered individuals of juniper Juniperus communis, this species now has only a few remaining native sites in Kent.
On the sheerest chalk-cliff faces, vegetation is largely confined to crevices and narrow ledges. In places where gullies have formed (particularly around Langdon Bay), the vegetation is more extensive and consists of mixed communities of plants typical of both maritime and chalk grassland habitats. National rarities include wild cabbage Brassica oleracea, hoary stock Matthiola incana and Nottingham catchfly Silene nutans, while more locally-rare species include wild madder Rubia peregrina. At the northern end of the site, at Kingsdown beach is a broad shingle plateau with a succession of plant communities influenced in their extent and composition by increasing shingle-stability. Typical species include sea sandwort Honkenya peploides and the rare sea pea Lathyrus japonicus, while more secure shingle inland supports a sward of sheep’s fescue and other grasses together with further colonies of the early spider orchid. Of particular note is a prostrate oak tree Quercus robur which instead of a trunk has branches radiating from its root-base.
The invertebrate fauna of the site is rich, including important communities of Lepidoptera (moths and butterflies) and Coleoptera (beetles). Locally-restricted species found here include the adonis blue butterfly Lysandra bellargus, the scarlet tiger moth Callimorpha dominula, a ground-beetle Bradycellus distinctus, and some rare weevils of the family Apionidae. There are numerous breeding sea birds along the cliffs including fulmars, rock pipits and lesser-black backed gulls; kittiwakes have been established since 1967, their expanding population now exceeds 1100 pairs, but are still found nowhere else in Kent. The South Foreland valley at St Margarets is a significant landfall for migrant birds in the spring and a gathering point for dispersal in the autumn. More importantly many migrants breed here including whitethroat, blackcap, grasshopper and other rarer warblers. Old wartime fortification-systems, of which there are several within the site, attract black redstarts. Near Kingsdown is one of the two cliff-nesting colonies of house martins in Kent. In addition the site includes important chalk foreshore habitats, particularly those at St Margarets Bay. These support the most species-rich littoral chalk algal flora in south-east England. The wide wave-abrasion platform at the foot of the cliffs provides a diverse range of rock formations and habitats colonised by rich and complex seaweed communities, the lower shore red algae being particularly luxuriant. Examples of algae characteristic of lower salinities are present where freshwater springs emerge on the shore, and the cliff face supports well developed examples of the unusual algal communities characteristic of this habitat, exhibiting clear vertical zonation patterns.
Geology
Dover to Kingsdown is an internationally important stratigraphic reference site which provides extensive and near continuous cliff and shore exposures of the Cenomanian, Turonian and Coniacian Stages (the Lower, Middle and Upper Chalk). The site is historically very important as many geological principles, such as biostratigraphic zonation were tested here during the early development of geology. Many parts of the succession are fossiliferous and, in particular the upper parts of the Turonian and lower parts of the Coniacian are rich in Micraster, which have contributed, and still are contributing to our knowledge of evolution.
This is also a key site for coastal geomorphology, providing an excellent example of structural controls on coastal cliff morphology. It also provides significant evidence for understanding contemporary form/process relationships in a cliff- shore platform-beach system. Historically, retreat of the cliffs has averaged 0.5 m per year but, in contrast to Foreness on the Isle of Thanet, erosion takes place mainly as large slides affecting much of the cliff face. The present beach closely relates to contemporary erosion of the cliffs and a well-developed shore platform extending to below low water mark. Geomorphologically, Dover to Kingsdown is an essential member of the network of chalk coastal sites in Britain.
Where's the path? Use the link below.
Dover to Kingsdown Cliffs Maps
More Sites of Special Scientific Interest in Kent
Kent Parishes

Kent Parishes
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales 1894 -1895

DEAL PARISH

Deal, a town, a parish (divided in 1852 into three ecclesiastical parishes, St Leonard's, St George's, and St Andrew's), and a municipal borough in Kent. The town stands on the coast, facing the Downs, opposite the Goodwin Sands, with a joint station on the S.E.R. and L.C. & D.R., 86 miles from London, and 5 SSE of Sandwich. The railway connecting the town with Dover was constructed in 1879. It may have been the place of Caesar's landing fifty-five years before the Christian era; it was known at Domesday as Addelam; it was the place of Perkin Warbeck's landing in 1495; it received Anne of Cleves after her voyage in 1540; it was attacked by Prince Charles in 1648; it felt an earthquake shock in 1692 and it was the landing-place of Adelaide, the queen of William IV. It is a municipal borough, a member of the Cinque-port liberty of Sandwich, a coastguard and pilot station, and a seat of petty sessions. The air being good, and the sea-beach favourable for bathing, Deal has of late years been resorted to as a watering-place, and several rows of houses have been erected for the accommodation of visitors, besides a gentlemen's club with a fine sea frontage, baths, libraries, &c. There are several hotels, a bank, and a golf club.
The town comprises three parts, Upper, Middle, and Lower, the latter consisting of three long narrow streets parallel with the beach, and adjoins on the south the parish of Walmer, in the castle of which the Duke of Wellington died in 1852. Lower Deal contains the bulk of the population, and has a head post office, of the name of Deal. Upper Deal stands on a hill above Middle Deal, was the original village, and has a post office under Deal. Deal Castle, like the neighbouring ones of Sandown and Walmer, was built by Henry VIII. for defence of the coast. It has been converted into a family residence, and is now in the occupation of Lord Herschel. An assembly-room was erected in 1865, and there is a capacious Oddfellows' hall.
The town-hall, in Lower Deal, is a spacious edifice of 1803, and contains portraits of William III. and William IV. A council chamber and some police cells were added in 1883. St Leonard's Church, in Upper Deal, is an ancient structure with some Norman fragments. St George's Church, in Lower Deal, was built in 1715, and is an excellent specimen of the church architecture of that day; it was reseated in 1877. St Andrew's Church, in West Street, was built in 1850, and enlarged in 1865. The General Baptist chapel was built in the time of the Commonwealth by Samuel Tavemor, governor of the castle. The Congregational chapel was built soon after the ejectment of 1662, and replaced by the Congregational Bi-Centenary Memorial Church erected in 1882. There are five other dissenting chapels, and a Roman Catholic chapel dedicated to St Thomas a, Becket of Canterbury. The Victoria Baptist Church, in the Gothic style, was erected in 1881. The convent and orphanage of St Ethelburga was established in 1871 for educating young girls. The teaching is conducted by the Sisters of Notre Dame des Missions, and there is room for seventy inmates. Four weekly newspapers are published, and a provision trade, sail-making, and boatbuilding are carried on. A pier on iron piles stretching 920 feet out to sea, 20 feet wide generally, but 40 feet wide at the head, with an average depth there of 10 feet at low-water spring tides, and the platform 13 feet above high-water mark, was constructed in 1864,* and a pavilion for concerts at the head of the pier in 1886. The adjacent roadstead of the Downs is sheltered by the Goodwin Sands. The town was chartered by William IIL, and made a member of Sandwich parliamentary borough by the Reform Act. The municipal borough is conterminate with the parish, and is governed by a mayor, 6 aldermen, and 18 councillors. The parish comprises 1111 acres of land and 50 of water; population, 8891. The livings of St Leonard and St Andrew are rectories, and that of St George a perpetual curacy titular vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury; values respectively, -6400, £300, and £800. Patron of all, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
More Kent Parishes


KENTPOI
Kent - Places of Interest | Kent - Points of Interest | Kent - People of Interest

Kent Place Names
Stacks Image 7877
If you have wandered through the Kent Downs whether on foot, by horse, bicycle or car will have, at one time or another, pondered over the meaning of place names of towns , villages or hamlets that we normally take for granted in our everyday lives. Places such as Pett Bottom, Bigbury and Bobbing conjure up all manner of intriguing images as to the activities of former inhabitants, while others such as Whatsole Street, Smersole or Hartlip appear completely baffling.
Although most place names may appear at first sight to be random elements of words thrown together in no particular order, most are surprisingly easy to decipher with some elementary grounding in Old English. Over the centuries most of the Old English words have themselves corrupted and changed to appear as we know them today.
Kent Place Names
Kentish Dialect
Stacks Image 7887
Modern Kentish dialect shares many features with other areas of south-east England (sometimes collectively called "Estuary English"). Other characteristic features are more localised. For instance some parts of Kent, particularly in the north west of the county, share many features with broader Cockney.

A Dictionary of the Kentish Dialect and Provincialisms: in use in the county of Kent' by W.D.Parish and W.F.Shaw (Lewes: Farncombe,1888)
'The Dialect of Kent: being the fruits of many rambles' by F. W. T. Sanders (Private limited edition, 1950). Every attempt was made to contact the author to request permission to incorporate his work without success. His copyright is hereby acknowledged.
Kentish Dialect

Towns and Villages Nearby

Dover
Sandwich
Ramsgate
Folkestone
About Us
Kentpoi is a free resource.
We seek to offer our visitors something entertaining, interesting and relevant every time they visit this website.

We are constantly updating the content of this website based on the feedback from our audience.

Advertise on this website?

Target Specific Advertising

Terms & Conditions

Terms & Conditions

Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy

Contact
Our Friends
Stacks Image 8150

Kentculture - Promoting Talent
Kentculture

Stacks Image 8154

Website designed and maintained by Themeweavers

Kent Tourism Brochures
Kent Interactive Maps
Kent Towns & Villages